ABOUT 70 people were evacuated from the Ivory Tavern on Saturday afternoon after a fire was lit in one of the toilets.
NSW Fire and Rescue responded to an automatic fire alarm at the tavern at 4.39pm to find someone had lit a paper fire in one of the cubicles.
Tweed Heads senior firefighter Chris Perrin said it was lucky the automatic alarm had been sounded as the fire could have spread if crews hadn't responded so quickly.
"It was extinguished in about half an hour," Mr Perrin said.
"There was some damage to a cubicle and smoke damage through the toilets.
"It was lucky it was a quick notification because it could have gotten worse and spread easily."
Inspector Jim Cain of Tweed police said inquiries were continuing into the person responsible for the fire.
NO NEED TO GO AWAY FOR A HOLIDAY WHEN ITS RIGHT HERE!!! LIVE THE DREAM EVERY DAY!!!! THIS STUNNING HOME REALLY DOES HAVE IT ALL!!! THERE ARE NOT MANY IMMACULATE...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.