News

Cuts cost sick residents

Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter
Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter Inga Williams

LOGAN residents who rely on weekly dialysis treatment to survive are angered at the scrapping of patient transfer vehicles by the State Government.

Just before Christmas, both Steve Bean and Margaret Perry were told they would need to find alternative transport to take them to and from the hospital, as funding would no longer be provided to the service.

Both feel this is a spending cut which has put their lives in jeopardy.

Mr Bean, who is being treated with dialysis, said since the axing of the patient transfer service, he has found it hard to make his weekly appointments.

"Anybody who has ever had dialysis before knows it can make you very ill," Mr Bean said.

"Because I can't drive myself to and from the hospital for my treatment, I have been having to rely on my elderly parents to take me.

"If they can't take me I have been having to take a cab, which costs me about $25 each way.

"But the problem with taking a cab as well is they don't always arrive on time, so that could mean you are late for your appointment which means that your dialysis treatment could be cut shorter.

"Our health is compromised if we are not there on time.

"When you have finished your dialysis you feel very unwell and most taxi drivers are hesitant to take you if you are going to be sick."

Ms Perry said she was disgusted with the way in which she was told.

"It was just before Christmas which meant it was very hard to find anything out or make other arrangements," she said.

"We hardly had a minutes notice.

"I tried to call the Premier's office to find out what was happening but they were not helpful at all."

State Member for Woodridge Desley Scott said more than 40 patients had been put at risk due to this recent funding cut.

"Just a week before Christmas the State Government had again callously slashed a vital frontline healthcare service which was helping some of the most vulnerable members of our community," she said.

"To leave patients on kidney dialysis in limbo was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for heartless acts," she said.

The Reporter did contact the Minister for Health, Lawrence Springborg for a comment but he was unavailable.

However, a media representative said they were looking into the issue.

Topics:  dialysis, funding cuts


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Woman, 17, allegedly set on fire by another 17-year-old

Queensland Police Service badge on uniform, Monday, July 27, 2015. Photo Kevin Farmer / The Chronicle

Teen male charged with grievous bodily harm

Tiny superheroes at school

The students at Loganholme State School took part in Walk to School Safely Day and then celebrated Under 8's Day dressing up as their favourite superhero.Photo Contributed

Loganholme kids celebrate Under 8's Week.

Do you know this man?

Police believe this man may be able to assist with the investigation into an assault in a Meadowbrook park.

Man assaulted at Meadowbrook

Latest deals and offers

New focus for charity

Mayor says fundraising will be taken to the next level.

Tiny superheroes at school

The students at Loganholme State School took part in Walk to School Safely Day and then celebrated Under 8's Day dressing up as their favourite superhero.Photo Contributed

Loganholme kids celebrate Under 8's Week.

Do you know this man?

Police believe this man may be able to assist with the investigation into an assault in a Meadowbrook park.

Man assaulted at Meadowbrook

Logan’s incredible shrinking woman

Mariah Tonkin has lost almost 60kg.

Down more than 60kg through healthy lifestyle.

Browns Plains fraud

At about 8pm on 5-Apr-2016 a male and female attended a Browns Plains shopping centre where it is alleged they fraudulently purchased a number of items from one of the stores within.Police believe the persons pictured may be able to assist with their investigation.Reference: QP1600599561 refers.Photo Contributed

Do you recognise these people?

Urgent action is needed

ACT NOW: Springwood MP Mick de Brenni said a new koala report should be ringing alarm bells.

Time to act for koalas.

The best retro movies of the week? May 27 - June 3

Gregory Peck Photo Contributed

This week TV fan get to see Tom Cruise in a 1980s classics

Own Sunshine Coast property? You’re about to make money

UP AND UP: Property owners are likely to win from rent and price increases but tenants and first home buyers might not be so happy. Photo: Brett Wortman / Sunshine Coast Daily

Good new for property owners, not so good for buyers and tenants.

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked