FIREFIGHTERS across Logan are spreading the message of home safety and urging residents to change their smoke alarm batteries on April 1.
Woodridge fire station officer Robert Bertram said only working smoke alarms helped save lives.
"Fires can happen in any room of the house, so the earlier the warning, the quicker people can get out of their house," Mr Bertram said.
"Fires can develop in three to four minutes which is a very short time to escape a building.
"Especially at night, people need as much warning as they can get because when you're asleep, the smoke can put you into a deeper sleep as it is full of toxins."
Mr Bertram said every house should have as many smoke alarms as they could, especially in the hallway leading towards the bedrooms in a one-story house.
In a two story dwelling, Mr Bertram said a smoke alarm should also be placed at the top of the stairs.
"Smoke travels vertically so an early warning is needed for people in the upstairs bedroom to get out safely," Mr Bertram said.
The Queensland fire service recommend using photoelectric smoke alarms but any fire alarm which meets Australian standards is also acceptable.
On Sunday, April 1, remember there is a serious side to April Fools day by changing the batteries in your smoke alarm.
OPEN HOME CANCELLED 22/11/2014 This beautiful, neat & cosy home is truly an outstanding lifestyle package. Located in Redbank Plains this property is only minutes...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.